Happy Pineapple Upside Down Cake Day!
Although bakers all around the world have been baking fruit under batter to create upsdie down cakes fro over a hundred years, ( It makes it’s own decoration!)
it wasn’t until the twentieth century and the industrialization of not only shipping pineapple, but also cutting pineapple into those fun rings, that allowed this amazing combination of pineapple and brown sugar confection coating cake enter American mainstream households.
The first recorded recipe for Pineapple Upside Down Cake According to John Mariani’s ( The Dictionary of American Food and Drink , Revised Edition, 1994), “The first mention in print of such a cake was in 1930, and was so listed in the 1936 Sears Roebuck catalog, but the cake is somewhat older.” In Fashionable Food: Seven Decades of Food Fads (1995), Sylvia Lovegren traces pineapple upside-down cake to a 1924 Seattle fund-raising cookbook.”
— American Century Cookbook: The Most Popular Recipes of the 20th Century , Jean Anderson (p. 432)
We hope you enjoy making this individual twist on making one of our favorite upside down cakes.
Simple and DeliciousPineapple Upside Down Mini-Cakes
Prep Time 15 min Total Time 60 min Servings 12
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 cans (8 oz each) pineapple slices in juice, drained reserving juice
- 12 maraschino cherries
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup pineapple juice (from cans of pineapple)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 12 Cup Jumbo muffin tin or 12 jumbo silicon cupcake liners
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place 1 teaspoon melted butter in each of 12 ungreased jumbo or large muffin cups. Add 1 tablespoon brown sugar to each muffin cup. Place 1 pineapple slice in each cup; place 1 cherry in center of each pineapple slice.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, 1 cup pineapple juice, the oil and eggs with electric mixer on low speed until moistened; beat 2 minutes on high speed. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and cakes spring back with touched lightly in center. Cool cakes in cups 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place cookie sheet upside down over each muffin pan; turn cookie sheet and muffin pan over. Remove pan. Serve cakes warm. (if using individual silicone liners, place a small plate on top and flip individually.)