Happy Zucchini Bread Day
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
COOK TIME: 1 HOUR, 10 MINUTES YIELD: MAKES 2 LOAVES (9X5 loaf pans)
- 4 cups grated zucchini
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup butter ( 1 1/2 sticks), melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350°F, with a rack in the middle. Grease two 9×5-inch loaf pans with baking spray or butter.
- While grating the zucchini, place i in a sieve over a bowl to catch and press out any excess moisture.
- Whisk together the flour, unsweetened cocoa, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Whisk until there are no more clumps and the ingredients are well combined.
- In a separate large bowl, beat together the sugar and eggs until smooth, about a minute. You can do this with an electric mixer on medium speed, or by hand with a wooden spoon. (I’m lazy and use a mixer but it’s easy enough to do by hand.) Add the melted butter, instant coffee granules, and almond extract and beat until smooth.
- Mix the shredded zucchini into the sugar egg mixture. Add the flour to the zucchini mixture in 3 additions, stirring to combine after each addition. Fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 350°F, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean and easily.
- Remove to a rack. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then run a blunt knife around the edges to separate the bread from the pan.
- Remove from the loaf pans and let cool completely on a rack before slicing.