Cinco de Mayo Recipes
Celebrate Cindo de Mayo Minnesota style with this tasty Mexican Hotdish and ‘Fried’ Ice Cream for Dessert!
Cinco de Mayo Mexican Hotdish
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1, 14 oz bag frozen corn
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 glove garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (red, orange, yellow, or green you choose, or use the small sweet peppers and add a variety of colors)
- 4 cups cooked, diced chicken
- 10 ounce can enchilada sauce (Mild to hot, you can choose)
- 1 cup sour cream plus more for topping
- 8-ounce bag Mexican Style Shredded Cheese
- 8 flour tortillas soft taco size, cut into squares
- 3/4 cup tomatoes seeded and diced, to garnish, optional
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves chopped, optional
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Aluminum Foil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9-13” casserole dish with cooking foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the corn, onion, bell pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add in minced garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until aromatic and garlic is just starting to turn golden.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until warmed through.
- Place the cooked and chopped chicken and cooked vegetables and black beans in a large bowl. Add the enchilada sauce, sour cream, and half of the bag of cheese. Stir to combine.
- Make the first layer of the hotdish by spreading 1/3 of the tortilla pieces in the bottom of the dish. Add half of the chicken mixture, then top with another 1/3 of the tortillas.
- Add the remaining chicken, then top with the rest of the tortillas. Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese over the top.
- Cover the dish with additional foil and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until casserole is bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Top with tomatoes and cilantro, then serve.
‘Fried’ Ice Cream
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups crushed cornflakes
- Whipped cream and chocoalte ice cream topping, and cherry optional
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Using a 1/2-cup ice cream scoop, place 8 scoops of ice cream on a baking sheet. Freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine brown sugar, butter and cinnamon. Stir in cornflakes. Transfer to an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake until lightly browned, 4-6 minutes. Cool completely.
- Roll ice cream balls in crumb mixture. Cover and freeze until firm, at least 1 hour. If desired, serve with toppings.