Earth Day Cookies
TOTAL TIME 26 MINUTES, adapted from nelliebellie.com
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup butter soft
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- dash almond extract
- 1 teaspoon milk
- In a large bowl, beat the butter on medium-high speed until fluffy, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the sugar, baking powder, and salt and beat until mixed well.
- Add the egg, milk, and almond extract and beat just until combined.
- Add flour and mix until fully incorporated.
- Divide the dough into halves with one half having a bit more than the other.
- Using food coloring, dye the smaller half green and the larger half blue.
- Chill the dough for about 20 minutes and begin to preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- To make the cookies: Use about 1 tablespoon of blue dough to make a small patty. Lay about 3/4 tablespoon of green dough on top. Roll it into a ball and press down onto an ungreased cookie sheet with a jar dipped in sugar.
- Bake for about 6-8 minutes or just until set. Do not overbake.
- Mix the powdered sugar, extract, and milk together. Add additional sugar or milk to get the consistency you would like.
- Mix in red food coloring to obtain a nice red color.
- Use a toothpick or small knife to place a small amount of icing on the cookie.
- Use a toothpick to gently drag the icing into a heart shape (move quickly before the icing dries) and let dry.