Mary Matthews Serves 2-4
There are 2 versions of the soup below, the one I actually made ingredients listed first, and also more common ingredients variations listed second. The directions are for my version so just substitute when needed.
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 large shallot or 1/2 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2” piece of fresh ginger, sliced, or 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 Each Fresno chili’s or 2 each jalapeño, halved
- 2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 Heaping Teaspoons of Red Curry Paste (Thai kitchen brand) or 2 teaspoons curry powder ground plus 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 Teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Cups Coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1” piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled into petals and then cut into thin julienne style (matchstick) pieces
- 1 lime, halved (half squeezed into soup, 1/2 cut into wedges for garnish
- 2 Each Chicken Thighs, skin on, seared and cooked, then shredded off the bone
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Ginger Vinegar (Mine was homemade), or rice wine vinegar, or even white wine vinegar would work or fish sauce if you have it.
- 1 Pkg. Hokkien Stir-Fry Noodles, cooked and drained or Ramen noodles or rice noodles would work too.
- Salt & Pepper
- A bunch of Cilantro fresh, chopped to garnish
- 1 Fresno or Thai or jalapeño pepper sliced into thin rings for garnish
Make the Broth Base
- In a large stockpot, heat coconut oil over medium heat and add in the shallot, ginger, Fresno peppers, garlic, cardamom, and curry paste. Sauté for 3 minutes until it becomes very aromatic, and garlic just begins to get golden.
- Pour in the 4 cups of chicken broth and stir. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Simmer for 10 mins.
- Strain the broth using a fine-mesh sieve or colander. (discard or compost the bits)
Make the Soup
- Pour the broth back into the pot, and add in the coconut milk, minced ginger, carrot, lime juice, shredded and cooked chicken meat, and vinegar.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes simmering so all the flavors come together.
- Divide cooked noodles into bowls, pour soup over noodles, and distribute the chicken.
- Garnish with lime wedges, cilantro, and thinly sliced peppers.
- Enjoy or สนุก “S̄nuk”