Ingredients For Chili
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 sweet or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, about 4 cups, peeled and cut in a 1/2 inch dice
- avocado, red onion, and cilantro for garnish
Ingredients for Corn Bread Muffins (Makes 12 muffins)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
Prepartion for Chili
- Lightly spray a large Chili size pot, with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and crumble it with a wooden spoon while it cooks. If it releases a lot of liquid/ grease use a spoon to discard it. After beef has browned, add the onion and garlic and continue to cook until beef is cooked through, add all spices to the pan.
- While beef is cooking, in a microwave-safe bowl pre-cook the diced sweet potatoes covered in a damp paper towel for 5 minutes.
- Add all tomatoes and the chopped sweet potato to the pot. Stir to mix everything.
- Place the lid on the pot, and cook until sweet potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes
- To serve: Garnish with avocado, red onion, and cilantro.
Preparation for the Honey Corn Bread Muffins (Make while chili is cooking)
- Special equipment: paper muffin cups and a 12-cup muffin tin
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Into a large bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the whole milk, eggs, butter, and honey. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
- Place muffin paper liners in a 12-cup muffin tin. Evenly divide the cornbread mixture into the papers. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden.