Active:30 mins Total:30 mins Servings:4 Mary Matthews
- 2 slices bacon, thinly sliced
- 1 (1 lb.) package shelf-stable gnocchi
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 chopped large shallot or small onion
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese softened
- 1 cup unseasoned canned pumpkin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Add gnocchi to the pan with the bacon fat and cook, stirring often, until starting to caramelize, about 5 more minutes. Set aside in a bowl.
- Add the butter, oil, and shallot to the pan; cook, stirring, until softened, aromatic, and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and sage; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Beat to combine the chicken stock, heavy cream, and cream cheese in a small bowl; add to the pan along with pumpkin, nutmeg, and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to maintain the simmer, and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the crispy bacon, gnocchi, and Parmesan; cook, stirring until heated through, about 2 minutes more.
- Serve immediately, garnish with any extra sage.