By Chef Mary
Makes: 6 burritos, Total time 30-45 minutes
- 1 pound of ground beef, turkey, or chicken
- 1/2 cup of onion, finely chopped
- 2 clove of minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 (4 ½ ounces) can of diced green chili peppers
- 1 (16-ounce) can of refried beans
- 1/4 Cup Tomato paste
- 1 (10-ounce) can of enchilada sauce
- 6 each 12-inch warmed flour tortillas
- 2 cups of shredded lettuce
- 1 cup of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Sour Cream
- Salsa or Pico de Gallo
- Hot Sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Crumble the ground beef (or other protein choice) into a skillet or large sauté pan and cook over medium-high heat. Stir until evenly browned. Add in the chopped onion and continue to cook until the onion is soft and translucent. About 5-7 minutes.
- Drain any excess oil from the pan and add the seasonings: cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper to the protein/onion mixture. Next, Stir in the green chilies, and refried beans until combined. Turn off the heat but keep the in the pan to keep warm.
- In another saucepan, combine the chili, the tomato paste, and enchilada sauce. Stir to combine over medium heat and cook until entirely heated through. Again, turn off the heat, but keep in the pan.
- Warm the tortillas, place it on a plate and then spoon (a very generous) one-half cup of the beef mixture into the tortilla’s center. Top it with as much lettuce and tomato as you like.
- Roll it up by folding in the left and right sides toward the cent and then rolling it to shape the burrito. Place seam down on the lined baking sheet. Then spoon some sauce over the top, be generous. Repeat with remaining 5 Tortillas. Pour any remaining sauce over the top and then cover with the shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 3-4 minutes (or until the cheese melts).
- Once cheese is melted, remove from the oven and serve family style or individually by topping with green onions, sour cream, salsa, Hot Sauce, and cilantro.