It’s national Spinach day! It’s great in everything from smoothies to salads. Spinach is not just Popeye’s favorite vegetable, it’s one of the Way Cool Cooking School’s too because it is so versatile and healthy. Celebrate the mighty green Spinach with this bright Spinach pesto recipe for dinner.
Spinach Pesto (8 Servings)
- 2 cups lightly packed baby spinach leaves (about 2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Combine the spinach, pine nuts, lemon juice, and lemon peel in a processor. Lightly pulse. With the machine running, gradually add 1/3 cup of the oil, blending until the mixture is creamy. Add salt and pulse. Put half of the pesto into ice cube trays and store in the freezer for future use. Transfer the rest of the spinach mixture to a medium bowl. Stir in the Parmesan. Season the pesto with salt and pepper, to taste.