Pumpkin Spice Layer Cake
Makes 1 (8-inch) cake
- 1 (15-ounce) can (425 grams) pumpkin
- 1½ cups (330 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup (224 grams) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs (150 grams)
- 3 cups (375 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1½ tablespoons (9 grams) pumpkin spice
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- 1 cup (113 grams) chopped walnuts
- Pumpkin Spice Frosting (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line bottoms of 3 (8-inch) round cake pans with parchment paper; lightly butter and flour sides of pans.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat pumpkin, brown sugar, oil, and eggs at medium speed until well combined, about 1 minute.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pumpkin spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture, beating until well combined. Fold in walnuts. Divide batter among prepared pans.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 28 to 30 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Spread 1 cup Pumpkin Spice Frosting between each layer and on top of cake. Lightly spread Pumpkin Spice Frosting on sides of cake. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place half of remaining Pumpkin Spice Frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a 4B star tip. Place remaining Pumpkin Spice Frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a Wilton 2A round tip. Pipe Pumpkin Spice Frosting on top of cake as desired. Serve immediately. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Pumpkin Spice Frosting
Makes 4½ cups
- 1½ cups (340 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups (480 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) pumpkin spice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter at medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, 1 cup (120 grams) at a time, beating well after each addition and stopping to scrape sides of bowl as needed. Beat in cream. Add pumpkin spice and salt, beating until smooth. Use immediately.
Recipe Credit: Bake From Scratch https://www.bakefromscratch.com/