Memorial Day Weekend Recipes
Grilling out this Memorial Day Weekend? Check out these delicious summer recipes to make while you celebrate and enjoy the nice weather!
Mexican Street Corn Salad
Chef Mary Matthews
- 4 ears fresh corn, husked
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 1 tablespoon Crème or sour cream
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon Tajin seasoning salt
- ¼ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Brush the corn with olive oil and grill for 2 minutes per side, or until char marks form. Remove from grill and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the mayo, garlic, lime zest and juice.
- Slice the kernels off the corn and add to the bowl along with the green onions.
- Stir to coat, then add the cheese, cilantro, Tajin, paprika, and salt.
- Season to taste and serve immediately or chill until ready to serve.
BBQ Chicken Filled Pastry Cones
Chef Mary Matthews
BBQ Chicken Recipe
*NOTE: Can be made 3-4 days in advance.
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 3 Each chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 medium onion, small chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 lemon, juiced, and zest
- 1 Tablespoon steak sauce or ¼ teaspoon steak seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- To Serve: top with your favorite coleslaw and a pinch celery salt
- In a large bowl, mix the ketchup, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire, lemon juice, lemon zest, steak sauce, molasses, honey, hot sauce, minced garlic, chili powder, cardamom, black pepper, salt and brown sugar.
- Heat oil butter Medium high in a large saucepan (2 quart). Add the onions and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the wet ingredient mixture. Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes to let the flavors come together and the vinegar to mellow out a little bit.
- Using either an emersion blender, or a stand blender, puree the mixture until smooth. You can omit this step entirely if you are okay with the texture of the onions and garlic in the sauce.
- Allow the sauce to cool and combine with the cooked and shredded chicken. Chill until ready to serve.
*This will stay good for up to 4 days in the fridge, so you can make in advance
Pastry Cone Recipe
Makes 6 Cones
- 6 sugar ice-cream cones
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 large egg
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (half of a 17-to-18-ounce package), thawed
- Heavy-duty aluminum foil
- Put an oven rack in the lowest position with a 6-inch clearance above and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut six 6-inch squares of heavy-duty foil and wrap each sugar cone to cover completely, tucking in any excess. Spray the outside of the foil generously with cooking spray and set aside. Beat the egg with 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl.
- Unfold the puff pastry onto a work surface and cut it into 3 equal rectangles using the natural fold lines as your guide. Cut each rectangle into four 9-by-3/4-inch strips. You should have 12 strips (2 strips per cone).
- Wrap the cones in puff pastry: Starting at the pointed end of the cone, wrap 1 puff pastry strip around the cone, overlapping slightly, to cover. Brush the end of the strip with some egg wash, stick a second strip to it and continue wrapping until the cone is completely covered. Seal the end of the second strip of dough by tightly pressing it to some of the wrapped puff pastry, using some egg wash to help the strip adhere. Repeat with the remaining cones and strips.
- Brush the puff pastry all over with egg wash and put the cones pointed-end up on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until the puff pastry cones are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let them cool completely on the baking sheet on a wire rack, then remove the foil-lined sugar cone from inside each and discard.
- Fill the puff pastry cones with BBQ Chicken.