Happy May Day!
What a wonderful way to brighten someone’s day today and celebrate this Spring tradition by giving them one of these adorable Mayday Pole Cupcakes.
These Even have a sweet surprise filling too.
May Day “Lemon Surprise” Cupcakes
yield: 30 cupcakes or 15 Jumbo Cupcakes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 1/2 a large lemon)
- 2 tablespoon lemon zest (from about 1 large lemon)
- 1 cup whole milk
FILLING & FROSTING:
- 1 cup lemon curd for the filling
- 1 Container of your favorite Vanilla Butter cream Frosting
- 15- 30 Striped Paper Straws,
- Small (about 6″) pieces of this ribbon to attach to the top of the straws.
(You can use a glue gun for this or other type of craft glue ahead of time and allow to dry completely before using on cupcakes)
- Additional Sprinkles or Sugar to decorate (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with liners.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cream the butter and sugar by Adding melted butter to a separate large bowl and mix in sugar with a hand mixer for 30 seconds, until thick and yellow. Add eggs one at at time, beating after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Add the flour mixture and milk alternately, starting and ending with the flour. Don’t over mix! Divide batter among liners, filling 2/3 full (about 1/4 cup of batter per cupcake). Bake for 13-18 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. (Mine took about 14 minutes.) Cool completely before frosting.
- For the Filling; scoop out a small bit of the top/center of the cupcake. Fill each hole with about 1 tbsp. of lemon curd.
- Frost cupcakes by placing frosting in a pastry bag.
- Top the Cupcake with the Striped Straw with ribbons attached
- Add favorite sprinkles or colored sugar for extra decorations(Optional)