This Summer we made every variation possible of S'Mores Cupcakes! It was hands down the kids' favorite recipe of the summer!
Here is one of the camper's favorite versions.
yield: 16 CUPCAKES
1 1/4 cup (168g) graham cracker crumbs
5 tbsp (70g) butter, melted
5 tbsp (65g) sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
6 tbsp Cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup (120ml) boiling water
4 eggs whites
1 cup (207g) sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp vanilla extract
Chocolate sauce (I used this one)
Graham cracker crumbs
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees and prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
2. In a small bowl, combine crust ingredients and mix well.
3. Press about 1 1/2 tbsp of the mixture into the bottom of each cupcake liner.
4. Bake crusts for 7 minutes then remove and set aside.
5. To make the cupcakes, add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together.
6. Add egg, buttermilk and vegetable oil to the dry ingredients and mix well.
7. Add vanilla to boiling water and add to mixture. Mix well.
8. Pour batter into cupcake pan, filling a little more than half way, and bake at 300 degrees for about 17-19 minutes.
9. When done, remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Then remove from cupcake tin and allow to cool.
10. While cupcakes cool, make the meringue frosting. Combine egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in a metal, heatproof mixer bowl.
11. Place over a saucepan with simmering water
12. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are warm, to between 120 and 140 degrees on a thermometer, about 4-6 minutes. Remove from heat.
13. Using the whisk attachment, beat on low speed, gradually increasing to high, until stiff, glossy peaks form, 5 to 7 minutes.
14. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes and top with chocolate sauce and graham cracker crumbs, if desired.