Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
COOK TIME: 1 HOUR, 10 MINUTES YIELD: MAKES 2 LOAVES (9X5 loaf pans)
- 4 cups grated zucchini
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup butter ( 1 1/2 sticks), melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350°F, with a rack in the middle. Grease two 9x5-inch loaf pans with baking spray or butter.
1. While grating the zucchini, place i in a sieve over a bowl to catch and press out any excess moisture.
2. Whisk together the flour, unsweetened cocoa, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Whisk until there are no more clumps and the ingredients are well combined.
3. In a separate large bowl, beat together the sugar and eggs until smooth, about a minute. You can do this with an electric mixer on medium speed, or by hand with a wooden spoon. (I'm lazy and use a mixer but it's easy enough to do by hand.) Add the melted butter, instant coffee granules, and almond extract and beat until smooth.
4. Mix the shredded zucchini into the sugar egg mixture. Add the flour to the zucchini mixture in 3 additions, stirring to combine after each addition. Fold in the mini chocolate chips.
5. Divide the batter between the two prepared loaf pans.
6. Bake for 50 minutes at 350°F, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean and easily.
7. Remove to a rack. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then run a blunt knife around the edges to separate the bread from the pan.
8. Remove from the loaf pans and let cool completely on a rack before slicing.