Carrot Coconut Curry Soup
Chef Mary Matthews
Makes: 6 Servings
2 TBSP Coconut oil
1/2 Cup onion, diced small
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 thumbsize piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
4 Carrots, peeled and noodlized or shredded, or grated
1 12 Oz. Can diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 TSP Ground Coriander
1/2 TSP Garam Masala
1 12 Oz Can Coconut milk
2 Cups Chicken Stock
2 Ea Chicken Breasts, cooked and chopped small
1 TSP Salt
1 TSP Pepper
1/2 Cup fresh cilantro chopped
3 Cups Fresh Spinach, chopped
Sambal chile sauce, to garnish
1. In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt the coconut oil and add onions to sweat for 4-5 minutes until transluscent.
2. Add in garlic, ginger, coriander, garam masala, and curry powder. continue to cook over medium to low heat until aromatic 1-2 minutes.
3. Add in the cooked chicken, tomatoes with juice, and chicken stock, bring to a boil. Stirring ocassionally.
4. Add Salt and Pepper and taste. adjust as needed/desired
5. Add in carrot and coconut milk stir to combine and heat carrots
6. Divide the spinach between bowls and pour soup over.
7. Garnish with cilantro, chile sauce, and lime
Make it Your Way Notes:
This soup would work great with shrimp, white fish, or pork as well.
To make vegetarian, substitute the chicken stock with vegetable stock, and garnish with peanuts to add protein.